December 2, 2010

Moo Moo Buckaroo

Recently I read a blog about Getting a good seat flying Southwest. While I applaud Southwest on a great business model with the bags fly free. I wonder if they have some kind of odd enjoyment in seeing their passengers line up like cattle and fight for seats. The one time I flew southwest was after a business meeting so I happened to get there super early and got a good boarding Letter, I got lucky, or so I thought. That just got me first in the chute to the slaughter house. People packed in behind me trying to shove in front, then when I got on the plane I was lucky to get my self into a seat before everyone pushed past me to try to get what they thought would be the best seat. 


After getting felt up by the TSA the last thing I would want to do is fight for a seat. So here are my simple steps to getting a good seat and overall better experience: 


1. Don't be "cheap" Many times you can get lower fares even if you consider in the $25 bag fee on an airline where you can pick your seats. 


2. Check out SeatGuru.com for the best seats on your plane and select your seat a head of time. 


C. If you are flying with someone else book one of you for the aisle and one for the window. If the flight isn't full you will likely not get a person in the middle. And if the flight is full 99% chance you won't get a freak that insists on keeping the middle seat. They will trade you either the aisle or window. 


4. When you check your bags, flirt with the ticket girl behind the counter, ask her if there are any better seats. If you do it right you might get upgraded to an exit row or a seat they don't typically book ahead of time. 


5. Make sure your carry on is just a little too big to fit under the seat in front of you. That way you get to keep your leg/foot space. And even if you are among the last to board the plane, with a little kindness the stewardesses will find a place for your bag to fit in the overhead compartment. 


6. All the above will take 10 minutes of your time saving you from having to check in 2hours extra early to get a good seat (just make sure you get there before they give up your seat). 


7. After you star in a TSA peepshow. Stop at Starbucks get a coffee. Casually stroll to your gate. When they last call your plane the line should have died down walk to your assigned seat and enjoy your flight. 

1 comment:

  1. You never cease to amaze me. a) This is fairly informative to people who have no idea how to get good seats. 2: 12C4567

    ReplyDelete